The FlightGear MultiPlayer network consists of around 20++ (circa 2013) running servers.
- These servers are public internet facing contributed by various parties.
- Public servers are meant to run permanently on a host, and let players connect to them for free
- Typically there are around 10 to 60 players on the network circa 2013.
The main Hub Server (server.is_hub ) is currently mpserver01, hosted by oliver
- The mpservers are subdomains of flightgear.org
- eg: mpserver14.flightgear.org
- The DNS entries are maintained by the flightgear-developers
- There is no automated or "official" list at present, but the latest servers are expected to be on the FlightGear wiki page
- To make any changes, or to be added to DNS contact the FlightGear developers on the FG Mailing List
- On the FlightGear Mp network operates the servers in a HUB environment.
- This means, that traffic from clients received at 'leave'-servers is only relayed to a (one or more) 'HUB'-server(s).
- The HUB then sends the data to all known relay servers.
- The HUB-configuration takes some of the traffic load off leave nodes, as they just relay to one (or more) HUB servers.
- Currently mpserver01.flightgear.org is the only hub.
Above you can see the traffic flow in a HUB environment